If you want to create a stunning coffee table, you should start thinking about the design.
The coffee table is a focal point in the room, and it should reflect the owner's personality.
You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars to get a great-looking coffee table.
In fact, you can easily create a unique piece of furniture using some simple tools and materials.
What are the things that you need to create your own coffee table?
Well, firstly, you need some wood planks. After this, you will need some nails, screws, and glue. These are all essential items that you can often find around the house.
So now let's see step by step what you need to do:
Step 1 – First, choose the type of wood you want for the coffee table. If you have two pieces of wood with similar dimensions, you can use them both.
However, if they are different sizes, you should look for something bigger to make sure it fits nicely on the tabletop. Choose from these options: pine, cedar, teak, mahogany, or oak.
Step 2 – Next, measure the length and width of each plank. Take note of their measurements because you will need to cut the boards into specific lengths later.
You should also take note of the thickness of the panel. For example, if the board has a 3/4 inch thick dimension, you should fit 4 inches of material inside.
Step 3 – Cut out the boards according to their size. Using a saw or an electric sander, you should easily be able to cut any wooden plank into the right shape.
When cutting out a plank, you should keep in mind its thickness so that it looks proportionately perfect when finished.
Step 4 – Once your board is ready, now comes the time to attach the panels together.
Start by gluing one side of the board. Then flip over the board and apply another layer of glue. This way, you can ensure no gaps between the boards.
Tip: Don't forget to allow enough space between the boards. Otherwise, the table may not stand properly.
Step 5 – Use a circular saw to trim off the excess wood after attaching the boards. Make sure you leave at least 6-8 inches of wood attached to still have extra material.
Step 6 – Nail the wood together. Use four nails spaced evenly apart to secure the boards together. You should make sure that every pin goes through the entire plank.
Also, remember to put the nails close to the edges so that it doesn't affect the aesthetic value.
Step 7 – Finally, sand down the surface of the boards until smooth. You should only sand the surfaces facing the wall.
It's essential to avoid sanding the exposed parts of the panels since it could damage the finish. Clean up all the dust with a rag.
If you follow the steps correctly, you should have a friendly and sturdy coffee table that will last for years to come.
You can even add a personal touch to your table by adding some interesting details.
For instance, if you love animals, you can paint the front of the plain white and add a dog or cat picture.
Interior Design Tips For A Coffee Table
To decorate a coffee table, here are some tips to help you create a stylish yet functional piece of furniture:
- Keep the room clean and clutter-free.
- Avoid using bright colors in the room. Instead, stick with neutral tones like cream, browns, or blue.
- Add storage to the coffee table. You can add shelves, baskets, bins, or boxes to store small objects.
- Look for ways to hide cables and wires. By doing so, you will make the room look cleaner.
- Cover the bottom part of the table with cushioned stuff. Put pillows or cushions underneath it. The softness will give the room more character.
- Try to pick high-quality materials such as leather, wicker, or rattan. These materials are usually much more durable than those made from synthetic materials.
- Paint the top of the coffee table black. Doing this makes the room appear bigger and brighter.
- Choose simple pieces to display on the coffee table. For example, use vases instead of flower pots. They will give the impression of being more straightforward.
- If you want to match other items around the house, you can combine them by painting them the same color.
- Create a focal point by placing something unusual and decorative on the coffee table.
- Use glass tops on tables. They provide excellent visibility while keeping things safe from spills and stains.
- Opt to go for solid rather than patterned carpet. It is hard wearing and will last a long time.
- Go for wooden flooring over laminate ones. Wood offers natural beauty, but also provides warmth to the room.
- You can opt to buy used furniture online. This way, you don't need to worry about cleaning and repairing. However, be sure to do thorough research first before buying.
- Be wise when choosing furniture. For instance, choose something easily movable because sometimes it can become too bulky.
- Do the correct measurements before buying the coffee table. Also, consider whether you want it wide or long.
- Remember to consider the height of an adult when purchasing the coffee table. If you have kids, you may want to get one that has a lower base.
- Consider making repairs to old pieces of furniture. Repairs will not only save money but also improve their appearance.
To conclude, there are many ways to decorate a coffee table-top. All you need to do is to follow the advice given above. Then, your new coffee table will definitely boost your home's overall aesthetic appeal.